Friday, November 18, 2016

*****R.I.P. What.CD****



I won't rant for too long about this as I have already spent a full day in morning as have over a hundred thousand of others that were lucky enough to be part of what has been described by almost everyone as "the greatest music collection in the history of the world." and, "the most complete musical database ever created by humanity."

I literally felt ill to my stomach when I found this out yesterday. That's why I didn't post anything here yesterday or today. Sorry about that.

I can safely say that about 90% of what I have posted here has either come into my possession directly by me downloading it from what.cd or indirectly (one of my other sources got it from there and I got it from them). Either way this is an insanely horrible loss for all including all of you, you just didn't know it. My musical knowledge and collection has grown by leaps and bounds over the years and it's all because of what.cd. I post heady jamband stuff here because there is no other place to really find this stuff elsewhere publicly. When I set out to make this blog my intent was to fill a void that existed for fans of this type of music, but this is only a tiny bit of what I actually enjoy and listen to.

As a buddy of mine so perfectly put it, "If music makes the world go 'round, earth is rotating much slower than usual today."

Here is a well written article about what what.cd was:  http://qz.com/840661/what-cd-is-gone-a-eulogy-for-the-greatest-music-collection-in-the-world/

7 comments:

  1. Oh NO. Not what I wanted to see today or any day for that matter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Devastating. But, I feel very fortunate to have been part of it. I mean I downloaded every Bisco / SCI / moe. / WSP / Twiddle show in FLAC they had!! plus every other one i didnt have in mp3 and over 1.2TB of other music! I mean, how valuable is that!? Its priceless!! Another one will pop up and hopefully do even half as well as WCD did. For now there are 4-5 forums and groups I enjoy to share what I have accumulated,share the groove. And you Jooge are definitely one of those peeps too! much love, Mikey (tpace)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still cannot believe this has happened....even during all the DoS attacks throughout the years, I always thought what.cd would be there. This loss is beyond words.....R.I.P. indeed.

    ReplyDelete